The Pretrial Justice Institute (PJI) and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) are partnering to support the implementation of new policies and practices that enhance the quality of the local pretrial justice system through the Smart Pretrial initiative.
The goal of this Smart Pretrial Initiative is to provide technical assistance to up to five local jurisdictions in implementing practices consistent with legal and evidence-based pretrial practices. This solicitation offers six technical assistance categories:
1. Containing the Costs of the Criminal Justice System
2. Procedural Justice at First Sight
3. Detention Hearings
4. Minimizing Technical Violations and Re-Admission
5. Enhancing and Ensuring Racial and Ethnic Equality
6. Community Participation in Public Safety